Loading...
 
Features / Usability

Features / Usability


Enable Wiki Features Only for Logged in Users

posts: 62

Hi All,

I have installed Wiki server for our documentation purposes.

I need help on how to disable Rankings, Orphan pages, List pages, and Sandbox features for the users who are not registered with our site. That is, the Wiki features mentioned above should be available only to logged in users, not to the users who have not logged into the site.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Arun Bamania

posts: 3660 United States

You need to disable these permissions for Anonymous (that is, non-logged in) users. See the Permissions docs for details.

HTH,

-Rick

> Hi All,
>
> I have installed Wiki server for our documentation purposes.
>
> I need help on how to disable Rankings, Orphan pages, List pages, and Sandbox features for the users who are not registered with our site. That is, the Wiki features mentioned above should be available only to logged in users, not to the users who have not logged into the site.
>
> Suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Arun Bamania

posts: 62

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.
I am unable to find any permissions to set for the Rankings, Orphan pages, List pages, and Sandbox features in the Permissions document.
Need further help.

Regards,
Arun.

> You need to disable these permissions for Anonymous (that is, non-logged in) users. See the Permissions docs for details.
>
> HTH,
>
> -Rick
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have installed Wiki server for our documentation purposes.
> >
> > I need help on how to disable Rankings, Orphan pages, List pages, and Sandbox features for the users who are not registered with our site. That is, the Wiki features mentioned above should be available only to logged in users, not to the users who have not logged into the site.
> >
> > Suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Arun Bamania


posts: 1817 Catalan Countries

> Arun Bamania

Arun, search http://doc.tikiwiki.org/Documentation for help on creating new menus.

If wiki permissions doesn't help (they may not), a solution is to add the group "Registered" to the items in main applicationmanu that you don't want to be shown for anonymous.

Or even better, create your own customized menu for your tiki site...

Cheers,

posts: 62

Hi Xavi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have applied the given permissions only to the "Registered" users. But, I am still not getting the desired result. It is still showing the menu items to anonymous users.

Any suggestions???

Regards,
Arun.

> > Arun Bamania
>
> Arun, search http://doc.tikiwiki.org/Documentation for help on creating new menus.
>
> If wiki permissions doesn't help (they may not), a solution is to add the group "Registered" to the items in main applicationmanu that you don't want to be shown for anonymous.
>
> Or even better, create your own customized menu for your tiki site...
>
> Cheers,
>

posts: 4644 Japan

The default menu doesn't hide items from groups not authorized to use them. To have the visibility conditional, you must make a custom menu, where you can indicate what groups can see each menu item. How to do this is described at the Documentation site.

-- Gary

posts: 62

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply.
Gary, I am able to apply permissions on other menu items, for example, "MyTiki", "MyTiki -> MyTiki Home", "MyTiki -> Preferences", but not for the "Wiki" and its sub-items. I have a menu named "Wiki" in the left navigation pane of my site.
The "Wiki" menu has the following items:
- Wiki Home
- Last changes
- Rankings
- List pages
- Orphan pages
- Sandbox
- Print
- Structures

When I log off from the site, I cannot view the "Structures" menu item. I can still view the remaining menu items.

Please let me know how I can disable other menu items also for Anonymous users.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Arun Bamania

> The default menu doesn't hide items from groups not authorized to use them. To have the visibility conditional, you must make a custom menu, where you can indicate what groups can see each menu item. How to do this is described at the Documentation site.
>
> — Gary

posts: 4644 Japan

Did you go to the Admin Menus page (tiki-admin_menus.php) and click on the options icon (tools) of the menu you want to modify?

I assume you are talking about menu 42, called "Application menu" and described as "Main extensive navigation menu". If you click on its options icon, you will see at the bottom of the page that displays a table holding the menu items.

You will have to click "next" at the page bottom to get to items further down the menu. Notice the "permissions" and "group" columns. You can click on the edit icon to modify a menu item, adding a group name (and perhaps also a permission). Adding these will limit the displaying of the item to that group. It isn't clear to me if you have followed this procedure already or not.

-- Gary

posts: 62

Hi Gary,

Yes, I have tried the same procedure. But, I am not able to hide these items from Anonymous users.
Could you please let me know which permissions should I try to give them. I have already tried, giving the "tiki_p_view" permissions only to the "Registered" users.

For example, to display the "Last Changes" feature only to the Registered users but not Anonymous I have given the "tiki_p_view" permissions to Registered users only.

Following are the details that I am using for the "Last Changes" menu item:

Name: Last Changes
URL: tiki-lastchanges.php
Sections: feature_wiki,feature_lastChanges
Permissions: tiki_p_view
Group: Registered
Type: Option
Position: 205

But, still every one can view these menu items on the site without logging on to the site.
Please review the above statistics and let me know what I can do to hide the "Last Changes" menu item from Anonymous users.

Regards,
Arun.



> Did you go to the Admin Menus page (tiki-admin_menus.php) and click on the options icon (tools) of the menu you want to modify?
>
> I assume you are talking about menu 42, called "Application menu" and described as "Main extensive navigation menu". If you click on its options icon, you will see at the bottom of the page that displays a table holding the menu items.
>
> You will have to click "next" at the page bottom to get to items further down the menu. Notice the "permissions" and "group" columns. You can click on the edit icon to modify a menu item, adding a group name (and perhaps also a permission). Adding these will limit the displaying of the item to that group. It isn't clear to me if you have followed this procedure already or not.
>
> — Gary

posts: 62

Hi,

Yes, I have tried the same procedure. But, I am not able to hide these items from Anonymous users.
Could you please let me know which permissions should I try to give them. I have already tried, giving the "tiki_p_view" permissions only to the "Registered" users.
For example, to display the "Last Changes" feature only to the Registered users but not Anonymous I have given the "tiki_p_view" permissions to Registered users only.

Following are the details that I am using for the "Last Changes" menu item:
Name: Last Changes
URL: tiki-lastchanges.php
Sections: feature_wiki,feature_lastChanges
Permissions: tiki_p_view
Group: Registered
Type: Option
Position: 205

But, still every one can view these menu items on the site without logging on to the site.
Please review the above statistics and let me know what I can do to hide the "Last Changes" menu item from Anonymous users.

Regards,
Arun Bamania


> Hi Gary,
>
> Yes, I have tried the same procedure. But, I am not able to hide these items from Anonymous users.
> Could you please let me know which permissions should I try to give them. I have already tried, giving the "tiki_p_view" permissions only to the "Registered" users.
>
> For example, to display the "Last Changes" feature only to the Registered users but not Anonymous I have given the "tiki_p_view" permissions to Registered users only.
>
> Following are the details that I am using for the "Last Changes" menu item:
>
> Name: Last Changes
> URL: tiki-lastchanges.php
> Sections: feature_wiki,feature_lastChanges
> Permissions: tiki_p_view
> Group: Registered
> Type: Option
> Position: 205
>
> But, still every one can view these menu items on the site without logging on to the site.
> Please review the above statistics and let me know what I can do to hide the "Last Changes" menu item from Anonymous users.
>
> Regards,
> Arun.
>
>
>
> > Did you go to the Admin Menus page (tiki-admin_menus.php) and click on the options icon (tools) of the menu you want to modify?
> >
> > I assume you are talking about menu 42, called "Application menu" and described as "Main extensive navigation menu". If you click on its options icon, you will see at the bottom of the page that displays a table holding the menu items.
> >
> > You will have to click "next" at the page bottom to get to items further down the menu. Notice the "permissions" and "group" columns. You can click on the edit icon to modify a menu item, adding a group name (and perhaps also a permission). Adding these will limit the displaying of the item to that group. It isn't clear to me if you have followed this procedure already or not.
> >
> > — Gary

posts: 1817 Catalan Countries

Arun, try removing the tiki_p_view permission from the list (Anonymous group of users have this permissions, don't they?)

So, something like this:

> Name: Last Changes
> URL: tiki-lastchanges.php
> Sections: feature_wiki,feature_lastChanges
> Permissions:
> Group: Registered
> Type: Option
> Position: 205

If this solution succeeded, could you please explain it in the docs (Menus page), as a new section in the page? ("Allow XXX only under certain conditions"...)

posts: 4644 Japan

Try deleting "feature_lastChanges". I don't think this should be there, and it may be causing the display problem.

-- Gary

posts: 1817 Catalan Countries

> The default menu doesn't hide items from groups not authorized to use them. To have the visibility conditional, you must make a custom menu, where you can indicate what groups can see each menu item. How to do this is described at the Documentation site.
>
> — Gary

Gary, are you sure???
Main app menu (id 42) works like the rest, afaik...
If this is true, it should be added to documentation (I could'n find it here, and I've just updated the doc. without it, because it works for me as any custom menu).
http://doc.tikiwiki.org/Menus

posts: 1817 Catalan Countries

Try what I told you: add the group "Registered" to the items in main application menu

I've updated to documentation to add some info on how to do that (oups! that info was missing before):
http://doc.tikiwiki.org/Menus

I hope it's clear enough, or as again and/or update the doc. page so that it's clearer for a novice user looking for help...

HTH


posts: 62

Hi Rick and Gary,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I am able to disable the entire "Application menu" from anonymous users, but not particular items, for example, Last changes.

Anyways, I shall update the required document on the site tomorrow, as today I am stuck with some urgent (tight schedule) work.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Arun Bamania

> Hi All,
>
> I have installed Wiki server for our documentation purposes.
>
> I need help on how to disable Rankings, Orphan pages, List pages, and Sandbox features for the users who are not registered with our site. That is, the Wiki features mentioned above should be available only to logged in users, not to the users who have not logged into the site.
>
> Suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Arun Bamania