New page: http://wikisuite.org/Why-ClearOS
To do: all still relevant info below should be moved there
"ClearOS Community is a cloud-connected Server, Network, and Gateway operating system designed for homes, hobbyists and Linux developers. ClearOS comes with a Marketplace full of easy to install apps and the solution is a snap to configure thanks to the intuitive web-based interface."
It is a central component of Tiki Suite and has a very large number of well integrated features to choose from: Mail & Webmail, LDAP, VPN & Firewall, etc.
- ClearOS official site
- Join the Tiki/Tiki Suite group on the ClearOS site.
- How to install Tiki on ClearOS
- Creating A ClearOS Module
- From CentOS to ClearOS
PHP & MySQL & jQuery & jQuery Mobile like Tiki. And next version will use Bootstrap, like Tiki
- ClearOS self-updates by default. Once we add Tiki in the marketplace, we can work towards a self-updating Tiki (within LTS branches)
- ClearOS is available as a hardware appliance and thus, it will eventually become possible to purchase a Tiki-branded box, with self-updating Tiki, that can be installed on site or in a colo.
- ClearCenter offers many services, such as Domain names & DNS services, Remote backups, etc. in a unified interface.
- Later, SSL certificates, phone numbers and SMS.
- wkhtmltopdf for really nice PDFs
- The various software to Search within files (Perhaps re-use some that Zarafa installs anyway)
- ElasticSearch, for advanced searching and natural language processing features
- Better interop with the OpenLDAP server
- Better interop with the web server
- Better interop with the mail server
- For example Forum and List Synchronization (but really with recent work on Mail-in and Notifications in Tiki 13, we should be really close to being able to do a real Mailing List in Tiki, with a cron job to check/send messages)
- High-volume newsletters: Tiki newletters are fine for small & medium volumes, but they need to be improved for large volumes and the interop with ClearOS's mail server will permit things like: bounce handling, reduce chance of messages to be identified as SPAM, etc.
- Things in Tiki like tracker items, pages, groups, file galleries, etc. could be assigned email addresses. Ex.: So take a picture on smartphone and email to be added to file gallery or tracker item. We can already do some of this, but it's manual process to set up.
- Cron jobs and Batch processes
- Improve TRIM and eventually add a nice GUI
- Node.js apps such as Mozilla Together
- Should be able to convert files if appropriate tools are available on the server
- Better security and performance
- Make sure SSL is OK as per https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=doc.tiki.org
- IDS / IPS
- While Intrusion prevention systems do exist in PHP (and we may add PHPIDS one day), they generally are done at the server level and we do run into interoperability challenges, such as False positives in ModSecurity
- WebDAV via SabreDAV will be added to Tiki in the future and server configuration is important: http://sabre.io/dav/webservers/
- ClearOS also has many benefits
- Diversify community via Tiki's user & dev base:
- can access different web expertise and become more "webby" (Bootstrap, SEO, etc)
- Tiki can serve as a reference implementation for any PHP app
- XMPP -> Openfire Meetings
- Kimchi, WebVirtMgr or phpVirtualBox
- CronJob GUI
- FreeSWITCH & FusionPBX
And many others:
- 0001358: Avoid writing to the file system if disk is nearly full.
- Easy CSR / SSL support