Loading...
 
Features / Usability

Features / Usability


Help: How to restore a backup?

posts: 4 Switzerland

Hi TikiWiki Team

TikiWiki nebwie here.

A friend of mine asked me to help her out with her TikiWiki file system backup as the webserver crashed somehow. She has no idea about IT. I am working in IT since years but not on the web backend side so I need some help getting her WikiWiki website back online.

I have attached two screenshots of the backup's main folder and the wiki folder within. I mentioned there is also a Wordpress instance involved somehow and I'm not sure if this is the default when installing a TikiWiki instance or not.

Can someone give me a hint where to start to get TikiWiki Website up and running? My initial plan was to set up an Ubuntu VM and then install a LAMP server (sudo apt-get install lamp-server^) on top of it and then trying to somehow copy the backup to the right location on the filesystem (e.g. into the /var/www/html/ folder).

Am I moving to the right direction? Or am I overhinking it and it is much easier to do?

Thank you many times in advance for any hints!

posts: 8542 Israel
Anton Müller wrote:

Hi TikiWiki Team

TikiWiki nebwie here.

A friend of mine asked me to help her out with her TikiWiki file system backup as the webserver crashed somehow. She has no idea about IT. I am working in IT since years but not on the web backend side so I need some help getting her WikiWiki website back online.

I have attached two screenshots of the backup's main folder and the wiki folder within. I mentioned there is also a Wordpress instance involved somehow and I'm not sure if this is the default when installing a TikiWiki instance or not.

Can someone give me a hint where to start to get TikiWiki Website up and running? My initial plan was to set up an Ubuntu VM and then install a LAMP server (sudo apt-get install lamp-server^) on top of it and then trying to somehow copy the backup to the right location on the filesystem (e.g. into the /var/www/html/ folder).

Am I moving to the right direction? Or am I overhinking it and it is much easier to do?

Thank you many times in advance for any hints!


Hello,

Look to me like the good direction.
For requirement (what Tiki version?), check : https://doc.tiki.org/Requirements
For installation : https://doc.tiki.org/Tiki-Installation-Guide


I've made few quick tutos that may help you about setting a Tiki : https://bernardsfez.com/article65-Tiki-Wiki-installation-on-Amazon-Lightsail-instance-with-Debian10-MariaDB-Git-and-Virtualmin

(there are other may be more adapted... not AWS)

Hope this helps !

posts: 4 Switzerland

Well, looks like it's a VERY old version of TikiWiki. Inside the README file I have found the following entry:

Tikiwiki, a wiki with a lot of features! version 1.9.9 -Sirius-

Can I find the requirements for this somehow?

posts: 126844 United Kingdom
Anton Müller wrote:
Tikiwiki, a wiki with a lot of features! version 1.9.9 -Sirius-


Wow, that's ancient, we just released 23.1 the other day!

In theory you should be able to upgrade (in a single step) from an old version of Tiki to the current one, maybe version 21 LTS would be a good one to try first?

The documentation is here https://doc.tiki.org/Upgrade but maybe come and chat at https://gitter.im/tiki-org/community if you want some real time help on this - i should be there on and off over the weekend (but not today, sorry)

posts: 4 Switzerland
Jonny Bradley wrote:

Wow, that's ancient, we just released 23.1 the other day!

In theory you should be able to upgrade (in a single step) from an old version of Tiki to the current one, maybe version 21 LTS would be a good one to try first?

The documentation is here https://doc.tiki.org/Upgrade but maybe come and chat at https://gitter.im/tiki-org/community if you want some real time help on this - i should be there on and off over the weekend (but not today, sorry)


Thank you, very appreciated! But wouldn't it be necessary to resolve my initial issue first? I guess I cannot update to a current version until I was able to make the backup up and running again. This is my main problem at the moment. I have set up the lamp server as described above but when I try to call the TikiWiki website I only get this error message:
Unbenannt
Any hints what the problem could be? I have just copied over the backup files as described in my initial post. Maybe some sql databse access permission restrictions? I have no idea.

posts: 126844 United Kingdom

The database credentials need to be stored in db/local.php so the first thing probably is to try to use the username, password and database (and host) in there to make a connection in the command line (or something) - can't remember how Tiki 1.x handled errors like that, so i'd guess it just can't connect.

Once you can connect add those to db/local.php like this:

$host_tiki='localhost'; $user_tiki='databaseuser'; $pass_tiki='databasepassword'; $dbs_tiki='databasename';


HTH